Blogroll

Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Cold/Flu Dilemma

Unfortunately, over the past week, I caught the bug that has been getting everyone sick around USC.  No one likes being sick and I wanted to get better as soon as possible.  Only a day or two into my sickness, a friend called me up and convinced me to go to the gym with him.  Although my body felt much weaker than normal, I was determined to get a high intensity workout in for the day.  While at the gym, I didn’t feel too bad, especially with my friend there to push me every step of the way.  Boy, did I pay the price later on.  Later that night, my cold became much worse and my fever spiked.  Laying on my couch in misery, I was mad at myself for pushing myself too hard and worsening the sickness I already had.  Instead of continuing to beat myself up about the matter, I decided to research what physical activity can be done while sick, if any.
Excising when sick turns out to not be that bad for you after all.  In fact, it can actually help you recover faster.  You just have to be smart about it.  I found a good rule to go by is whether your symptoms are above or below your neck.  What do I mean by this?  When symptoms are above your neck such as sneezing, scratchy throat, or runny nose, you are generally cleared to do moderate-intensity workouts.  This does not mean trying to break your personal record on the treadmill.
When shouldn’t you workout? – When symptoms are below your neck, meaning chest congestion, muscle aches, or chills.  Hydration is so important when getting over a sickness.  By excising with your body at high temperatures, you risk reaching a point of dehydration.  Also, if your body feels any of these “below the neck” symptoms, your immune system is incredibly weak.  By doing high-intensity aerobic training or heavy lifting, you are breaking it down even further.
Most importantly, listen to your body.  Don’t be an idiot! If you can fry an egg on your forehead because your fever is so high, you probably shouldn’t go to the gym.  Taking two days off from your workout routine, could save you from taking two weeks off down the line.  And don’t worry, the gym will still be there when you get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment